Thursday, March 7, 2013

Simplicity 3775 Wrap Dress--in Vintage Polyester Polka Dots


Today is my birthday and I'm too self-indulgent to write much, but I've been wanting to show this dress on the blog.  Even though it is breezy and chilly, I couldn't pass up the chance to take a sunny photo. The pattern is (mostly) Simplicity 3775, which was popular a few years back.

I "spotted" the fabric from many booths away in a vintage mall. It is pure polyester, with a none-too-appealing feel to it, but the color and dot size are just so perfect. There were 2 1/2 yards of 60" wide fabric, and I wanted to use as much of it as possible. Instead of the a-line skirt of the original pattern, I made this one circular and it is darn twirly.




My big birthday treat was getting hair color at the salon. I've been thinking of a adding a blond patch, and today was the day. What freedom to realize that, at 44, I can wear green and orange, combat boots and crazy hair--most of which I wouldn't or couldn't have done as a younger person.

2 comments:

  1. I love it! Lately I've been unsure about some of my fashion urges, well, Lady it's your birthday, but I got a present seeing you in your boots- you look awesome and I will be proudly wearing similiar now- you have convinced me to follow my boot callings, we aren't too old for fun, we're just right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday! The dress is adorable and you look so happy in it.

    ReplyDelete