Thursday, July 19, 2012

Two More of Simplicity 1880!

My first post about Simplicity 1880 actually showed my third iteration of the dress. There are things I find better about the fit of the third dress, but I like the fabric of the first two versions much better.

The very first go-round was a brown and white polka dot poly charmeuse from Hancock Fabrics. I don't often work with fabric like this and thought it might be challenging. Quite the opposite was true--it was easy to cut and sew, frayed very little and has washed well. It does want to build up static when conditions are right, but overall it proves what I sometimes think about fabric--it's so difficult to know how well something will do until you try it.


On both this version and the next, I was so short on fabric that using the cap sleeve was the only option. I even had to use a solid brown lawn from my stash for the sleeve facings. There was no way to make a self-fabric belt, and anything else I've tried looks wrong. So no belt for this dress.

This version was pre-FBA, so the bodice has its snug spots.


The back drapes well in this fabric.


I love the color of version 2. This is a stretch cotton, similar to a shirting weight, from FabricMart. The cutting layout was carefully planned to eke out enough fabric (from a two-yard 54" wide cut--just!) for a self-fabric belt, with an adorable covered buckle from Sunni at A Fashionable Stitch. Although I love the small circular shape of this buckle, I realized after I had already started sticking the fabric to the buckle form that careful notching along the outside edge would have been a good idea. The instructions on the package don't mention this, and it would be tricky to do just right, but geometry being what it is, the outer edges of the buckle aren't as perfectly smooth as I would like.

The scarf is a recent $1 Goodwill find. I am in love with vintage rayon scarves from Japan--they have beautiful subtle color combinations and also some wonderful geometric designs.


Side view. For whatever reason, I did not have the "puffiness" issue in the back that other sewers mentioned. I always thought of myself as rather shortwaisted in back, so I don't really know how to account for this. Here again I had an acute shortage of fabric, so I couldn't self-line the sleeves. Instead I was able to make two strips of bias fabric (1 1/2" wide) to make a narrow bias facing. Turning that edge to the inside without a facing would not be a pretty way to finish such a curved hem.


Back view. The drape is not as nice as the brown and white fabric, and this fabric is no cakewalk to press.

The brown and white dress has been swing dancing, and maybe next week the coral dress will have its turn. I feel completely comfortable and secure in all of these dresses. There is no possibility of a strap showing, or the hem flying up too high or anything coming untucked. I love the simplicity and ease of it!

26 comments:

  1. These are both very attractive. I love the polka dots, and the scarf you used in the second dress is a perfect accessory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are both very attractive. I love the polka dots, and the scarf you used in the second dress is a perfect accessory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angela! The scarf was a fortuitous find--it was meant to be.

      Delete
  3. I love both of these! I, too, bought a belt kit from Sunni, but I couldn't decide what fabric to use on it. So, I'm saving it until inspiration strikes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, bobbinsandwhimsy--looking at your blog, I'm sure you are going to make an unexpected yet perfect choice of fabric for your belt!

      Delete
  4. Both of these are cute dresses, though I am partial to polka dots. :) That scarf looks intriguing. I love Japanese designs, in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shams! The vintage Japanese scarves from the fifties and sixties are quite subtle and subdued, but the more I look at them the more I like them. At first they seem conventional, but then I realize there's a lot of depth there.

      Delete
  5. these are amazing! and i love that you went swing dancing! I really want to learn to!
    The coral colour is amazing! Both are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a newcomer to swing dancing and now I think everyone should do it. If you have the urge, you owe it to yourself to give it a go. And getting dressed for it as least half the fun! Your adorable self-made wardrobe would be perfect.

      Delete
  6. I absolutely adore both dresses on you, and that scarf is a great find! Really lovely looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cuckoo! I loved seeing your version, too, and I look forward to exploring your blog.

      Delete
  7. I love them both but adore the polka dots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lizzy, thank you so much for visiting. All the detail you put into your dress is amazing, and I am in awe of your recent Cambies. You have single-handedly convinced me that I need that pattern!

      Delete
  8. Oh, I just can't decide which one I want you to mail to me....they are both wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two dresses, coming right up! Just as soon as you send that adorable peplum top my way...I've also got some leopard rayon challis, so I loved seeing your dress in leopard. That might be version number 4.

      Delete
  9. THese must be two of the best versions I have seen so far. Non sewers would never think they were the same pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janine, what a nice compliment! There is a lot of possibility for creating different looks with different fabrics and details. If only I didn't get so easily bored (in the sewing, not the wearing), I'd love to have one for every day of the week.

      Delete
  10. Both versions are absolutely lovely! (But my favourite is the brown, just because I'm quite partial to dots.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene, your polka dot dress in brown and cream was a big influence in the choice of the brown fabric! You and Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman, of course.

      Delete
  11. I love the brown polka dot dress. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Beth, and thanks for visiting! Love your blog.

      Delete
  12. Both versions are lovely. It's great how different the pattern looks made up in different fabrics. The scarf with the coral version is such a nice touch, and the colour is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Camelia Crinoline! So glad to have found your blog in all of its awesomeness.

      Delete
  13. Both versions are so wonderful! I'm such a sucker for both polka dots and coral! You look wonderful! What a great makes! Thanks so much for participating. xoxo, Sunni

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know I'm very late coming along, but I found your images using a search & WOW! I love them both. I hope you don't mind, I'm going to link to them on my blog as examples of why I love this pattern (Haven't yet made it myself, but will :) )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love jacking off to those pictures

    ReplyDelete